BLOG

Welcome to my blog site. Please visit the blog below to read about my adventures abroad. Then choose any of the galleries on the right to view my art work. Don't miss the latest gallery addition, Digital Art. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, May 1, 2009

Heading to LaPaz, Bolivia

On Wednesday, May 6 2009, I'm heading for LaPaz, Bolivia. On this trip I am doing some academic research on a cooperative of poor, female, indigenous knitters in the Andes. The group is called Alma de los Andes (Spirit of the Andes), and they sell children's and dogs sweaters to tourists and retail stores. I have worked with these knitters for the past 6 years, providing work for them via a yarn company with which I worked, and volunteering my time by designing children's sweaters for them.

The exciting part of this trip is a side tour I am making. My plan is to visit several African villages in the Yungas to meet the people and take photographs of them in their living and working environment. The African population in Bolivia has been a legal non-entity for many years, and have fought tirelessly for civil rights. In 2009 the government finally recognized them as an official minority group. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of these people are extremely poor and live in substandard conditions. I will upload some photos when I return.

I feel blessed that I have the opportunity to visit these villages and know that I will be inspired to paint beautiful and expressive portraits that represent these people and their plight respectfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment