BLOG

Welcome to my blog site. Please visit the blog below to read about my adventures abroad. Then choose any of the galleries on the right to view my art work. Don't miss the latest gallery addition, Digital Art. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cold Nights in La Paz


LaPaz is a city of contrasts....warm days and cold nights, plains and mountains, the wealthy and the poor. At 12,000 feet high, LaPaz sits in a bowl surrounded by mountains and is one of the highest cities in the world. Most apartments, like the one in which I stay, have no central heat, so
every one covers up in layers of clothing during the day and many blankets at night.

Everyone gets a great deal of exercise here as walking is the norm. And it is impossible to go around the corner without going uphill or downhill in this interesting metropolis. There are more indigenous people in Bolivia than any other country in South America. And the streets are teaming with women who wear their national costume, a pollera or full skirt, with a sweater, a shawl, a bowler hat, and these very petite, flat, ballet style shoes.

The knitters of Alma de los Andes have been eager to participate in my research. And as always, they are very kind to me when I visit here. I am taking many photographs of the women and children, and I hope eventually to have a body of art work focused on the women of the Andes.

No comments:

Post a Comment